Sunday, April 15, 2007

Don Imus

Oh the talk of what he has said. Someone said to me that what happened to Imus was blown out of proportion and he should not have lost his job. I feel that progress has been made when a wealthy White man in the US cannot call Black women names without serious consequences. However, this is only one incident by a repeat offender who went too far. There are more than 216 million White people in the US according to the 2000 census. There are two Black women in the photo my mother and grandmother. Many black people have a European heritage so I think it is good not to make us seem so different. I get angry knowing that someone is going to wear a Halloween costume based on this incident. I get angry with musicians who have placed this language in the culture. I get angry when I see photos on Facebook with the caption "my bitches." I have been banned from the campus of the George Washington University for life because I was sitting on a bench, I have had the police come to my house looking for a gun because there was a loud pop from a transformer during a rainstorm, I have been kicked out of a dance studio on High St during Gallery Hop for standing in the corner and I have been stopped by the police in my car for driving. So for me, it is not blown out of proportion because these things will not stop happening to me or anyone else if there are no serious consequences for injustice.

No comments: